Jogging or running is a popular form of physical activity. It is an appealing exercise because it doesn't cost a lot and you can run at any time that suits you. No matter if you do it just for your general fitness, to lose weight or to participate in athletics races or marathons, jogging or running provides plenty of health benefits.
Health benefits of running and jogging
1. Helps to build strong bones
Jogging strengthens the bones and prevents bone trauma and injuries. It improves bone thickness and wards off problems like osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It also makes the bones of the hip and the spine stronger.
2. Strengthens muscles
Jogging helps your body to become more toned. It works on the large muscles and develops them.
3. Improves cardiovascular fitness
Jogging is an excellent cardiovascular workout that boosts the health of your heart. It helps to prevent heart problems and diseases. It ensures that blood is pumped faster to the heart and, thus, maintains blood pressure. Cholesterol and blood glucose levels are also under control.
4. Burns plenty of kilojoules and helps maintain a healthy weight
Half an hour of jogging easily burns around 300 calories. It boosts the metabolism and is more effective than mere walking. A healthy diet along with regular jogging will help to lose weight easily. But jogging not only burns fat, it also helps you maintain your weight to stay healthy.
5. Has a good influence on all kind of preexisting chronic diseases
Jogging removes fatigue, boosts the production of white blood cells in the body and builds up immunity. Thereby, it stimulates the production of lymphocytes and macrophages that combat infection in the body. At the same time oxygen is provided to organs which ensures their wellbeing.
6. Helps to prevent all kind of head aches and pains
Jogging helps to soothe and calm the mind. It reduces stress and tension and also clears the mind of unnecessary thoughts. Also it brings blood and with it oxygen to the brain and other organs which increases their functioning.
7. Stabilizes mental health and lowers the risk for depression
Jogging plays a major role in improving the mental health of a person. While jogging your body releases hormones called endorphins that help to lift your spirit and make you feel positive about yourself so you feel calm and rejuvenated after jogging.
Health and safety suggestions for running and jogging
1. Make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
2. Avoid eating directly before going for a run.
3. Avoid running during the hottest part of the day in summer.
4. Drink plenty of water before, during and after your run.
5. Take your mobile phone with you.
6. If using an iPod or headset, do not have the music too loud – stay alert and aware.
7. Wear reflective materials if you're running in the early morning or at night.
8. Choose well-lit, populated routes and avoid dangerous and isolated areas.
9. If you injure yourself while running, stop immediately. Seek medical advice.